5 Tips for Moving to Spain

There are many things that you will need to take into consideration before moving to another country. Be sure to do some research before you decide to just pack up and move to Spain. You would hate to make this giant move and end up regretting it later.

Research topics such as the cost of living, job opportunities, and cultural differences, if any. Also, apply for a visa and immigration well in advance so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements. In case you are not sure how to apply for these, consider seeking immigration and visa help from reliable sources.

Apart from these, make sure to check the local laws and regulations to ensure you are compliant with all the necessary requirements. Research travel insurance policies to cover any unexpected emergencies. If you make the wrong decisions, you could end up stuck in Spain without enough money and no way of returning to your own country. We are providing you with 5 tips for moving to Spain and the rest is up to you.

Buying property

When buying property abroad, consider the local real estate laws and regulations, the stability of the country’s economy and political climate, and the potential impact of currency exchange rates. Conduct thorough research on the property market and seek professional advice from local real estate agents and legal experts. Additionally, assess the property’s proximity to amenities, transportation, and potential rental income if applicable.

For overseas mortgages, understand the eligibility criteria and interest rates offered by local lenders. Compare different mortgage options and consider the foreign currency risks. Enlist the assistance of an expert such as those at simonconn and similar companies with experience in international transactions to navigate the complexities and ensure a smooth mortgage process.

What’s more? Do not take the estate agent’s word regarding electricity. They may promise you that you will have electricity already connected as soon as the sale goes through – this is not true! Endesa Sevillana is the main provider of electricity in Spain.

They will need to come and fit an electrical box in the house that you want to buy. Make sure that you get receipts for this before going ahead with the sale. You need to get a certificate of first habitation – without this; you will not be able to get electricity. Solar power is the other alternative, but it is very expensive and the generator has to run off electricity anyway.

Bank accounts and other stuff

Opening a bank account in Spain is relatively easy. You can normally get all the information from your estate agent regarding banks and such. You are going to have to get a NIE number, which you can get at the local police station. Just remember to take copies of all your documents with. Make sure you read up on the correct bank account to get abroad, as various current accounts have different conversions.

There are a number of different taxes that need to be paid. One such tax is the IBI, which is for refuse removal and property tax. Refuse is collected on a daily basis, but at a communal container. This means that everyone in the area uses the same refuse container.

Be sure to check your savings rates regularly too.


Spain has a very high unemployment rate. Women tend to get paid very low wages and the chances of getting a job are lower if you cannot speak the language. Working hours are normally from 08h00 to 14h00 and 17h00 to 20h00, and can sometimes be longer than that. The best bet regarding employment is to work in the UK and return to your family over weekends. None of this matters if you have enough money to live on. In case you are not planning to work during your stay in Spain, then a non-lucrative visa may be the best option for you. There are, however, certain requirements you must meet in order to complete the application process. Take a look at this article: Non-Lucrative Visa Spain: How to easily qualify & apply today, or do a quick Google search to learn more about the visa application.


Go to the department of works and pensions in New Castle before leaving the UK. Here you will need to apply for an E106 or E121. These will cover you for a period of two years for healthcare in Spain. After the two years, you will have to take out some form of private healthcare.

Write out a will

The Spanish laws surrounding wills are very different from the UK. They tax you on just about everything and your children automatically inherit before your spouse. Do your homework where this is concerned

About the Author